The Grange Biology Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Grange Biology Forum

An open forum for members of the Grange Biology community to exchange ideas and information

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anti-Smoking Advertising

Go down 
+12
J. Ramon Ayarza :)
nico cox
olivia muñiz
maida olavarria
Cote Mendoza
Javiera Fischman
Ade del Rio
velixah tomic
E Aguilera
antonia namur
Natalia Ruiseñor
Admin
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Anti-Smoking Advertising Empty
PostSubject: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 4:15 pm

The Australian goverment has a long history of producing controversial and shocking TV advertisments to help combat social problems such as drink driving, alcohol abuse, domestic violence etc.

Watch the video below of a series of anti-smoking advertisments and in at least 150 words answer the following questions.

1) Do you think that this type of advertising is effective? Why?

2) If you were designing an anti smoking TV advertisment what would you do?

You may need to do further research on the internet to answer these questions. If you do please include references.

DUE DATE: You must answer these questions by the start of your second class during Week 22 (16/8/10)
[i]

Back to top Go down
https://grangebiology.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 11:27 am

I think that this is great cyclops
Back to top Go down
https://grangebiology.forumotion.com
Natalia Ruiseñor

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 2:46 pm

I do think that this type of advertising is effective because it shows the crude reality that smokers are living and the serious damage that they are producing in their own bodies. The video makes smokers notice the situation in which they are emerged, letting them to consider it twice before smoking their next cigarette. The repetition of “every cigarette does you damage”, is effective because it stays with you in your mind, and maybe, the next time you have a cigarette between your fingers about to let it go into your mouth, you will remember that every cigarette does you damage. The extremely shocking images create the tension needed for a non-smoker to avoid cigarettes and for a smoker to directly stop smoking, and so are completely effective.

2) If you were designing an anti smoking TV advertisement what would you do?
If I were designing an anti smoking TV advertisement I would go along the same lines of trying to shock the viewer with real images since it is the most effective way to make people quit smoking. No impressive images may not cause the objective wanted. However I would include people of different ages so that the viewer feels identified with one of the victims and so understand and feel the message concerned to their situation and position in society. I would also include facts and statistics to let people know how cigarettes can damage them if they smoke in small quantities or if they smoke in excess, so that they do not think that severe damage only has an effect on people who smoke too much.

Nati Ruiseñor I love you
Back to top Go down
antonia namur

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 12:12 pm

1. Do you think this type of advertising in effective?Why?
I think this type of advertising is effective because it educates people who don´t know what a cigarrete and smoking can cause and the damage it brings. so it informs people to rethink once they take another ciggaret.Its effective because it uses visual images and then you realize how your body might look after you smoke, it has disgusting pictures, real images so its more shocking for the audience and it gets in your memory more than just a person talking about smoking.It uses real people, with real situations, and that person might be you, the facts that it uses, and the repeated frase makes it more permanent in you memory.

2.) If you were designing an anti smoking TV advertisment what would you do?
If I was designing and anti smoking advertising I would also use real people, and facts that would make think when they put the next cigaret in their mouth. I would use images also on how it effets the enviorment, and how it affects the smokers from different ages and diferent ethnics so everyone feels identified with the advertisment.
Back to top Go down
E Aguilera

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 12:20 pm

1-I think that this type of advertising is effective. This is because the effects of it after youve seen it. It is not a typical type of advertising, it is different which makes people be more interested on this. It is also effective because of the structure and contents of the advertisement. It tells you to not smoke but also educates you on different things.It shows you in detail the effects on smoking, which makes it more shocking and iteresting.They show you different ages of people that smoke, making it and advertisment for all type of ages.

2. If I were desiging an anti-smoking TV advertisement, I would probably do somehting very similar to the video. I would make the advertisement serious but at the same time interactive. It would have people of many ages, so it is directed for all kind of people which smokes. It doesnt work if you just put old age people because the young would say " That problems only happens when you get older" Also I would use graphs to show statistics, in surgeries, deaths, economics. How much does it cost for a man who buys a pack of cigarettes a day. Like this people can realize in terms of health danger as also economic problems.
Back to top Go down
velixah tomic

velixah tomic

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 12:22 pm

1)Do you think that this type of advertising is effective? Why?
I think is very effective because it uses real images to show the REAL effects that tobacco has on people. This make the audience feel scary towards smoking. Also, this advertising achieves its final mission , which is to inform people about the consequences of smoking, to prevent young people from smoking.

If I were designing an anti smoking TV advertisement i would do something similar to the advertisement I just saw , because i think its very clear and explicit.
I personally think that the effectiveness of an anti smoking tv advertisement mainly depends of the real images and facts you show to the people;you must shock the audience, because if not the advertisement is not effective enough to prevent young people to smoke and make older people quit smoking.
So i would show real shocking images to the audience

albino farao
Back to top Go down
Ade del Rio

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 12:23 pm

1) I think this advertisement is effective as it shows very graphical and shoking images, but realistic to a certain point. It can be considered exaggerated by some people, but still it causes repulsion towards smoking for younger people who don't smoke.

2) I would make an advertisement with testimony of people who have had a bad experience with smoking such as a disease, because as it is real it might be shoking, and I would also reinforce the idea of the amount of money people spend in cigars each year because it is absurd AND they spend it in something that is killing them.
Back to top Go down
Javiera Fischman

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 12:25 pm

I think this advertising is very effective because it causes a great impact in the people or students that are smokers and people that see this, using very strong and powerful images. It educates us to make us realize the real impact that the cigarette causes to our body and the consequences it makes us have in our future. The reception we have about that cigarettes cause you damage is very effective and make people that smoke thing about what the are really doing when smoking.

2.) If you were designing an anti smoking TV advertisment what would you do?
If I would were designing an anti smoking Tv advertisement I would use many similar thing we saw in the video. I would use real people, demonstrating what effects causes on peoples every days life and what very harmful diseases could cause them on the future. I would use strong and powerful images like in the video so that people knows what will happen to them if they smoke. Images of how the organs are like after smoking, causing a great impact on the people who see this video so that they understand what it really means to smoke.

Javiera Fischman
Back to top Go down
Cote Mendoza

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 6:06 pm

1. I think the type of advertising is effective because it creates fear on the smoking public. It shows with real images (in some cases) what can happen to your body if you smoke. It show the immediate effects it has on the smoker. The idea is good, it deviates the viewer from smoking, however too cruel and too graphic. It also touches the viewers' feelings by making the advertisements with real people and not with comic figures. The special effects, for example in the advertisement that shows what is happening to you in the inside, outside your body, seem very real, what makes the advertisement reliable. Also, the video that shows the effect of smoking in aging is a real experiment, with real people, using reliable technology; this makes the audience believe what they are seeing. In conclusion, I believe that even though the images are quite scary and graphic, the advertising is effective in terms of making people not to smoke.

2. As I found the previous advertisements effective, I would do something similar, but this time showing the effects of smoking on children. I would show the effects of a smoker mother on the development of the baby, or the effects of smoking during pregnancy, or the effects of smoking on the birth of the baby. I would show actual facts of how many babies have died in the moment of birth, and the chance babies have to survive if they are born from smoker parents.
Back to top Go down
maida olavarria

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 6:56 pm

Yes I think this type of advertising is very effective for smokers, due to the fact that it tells the truth about cigarrets and the gravity of just one cigarret, it shows strong images that shock the viewer, the music also makes it effective because is very powerful and goes by hand with the images shown. So with this types of advertisings people would think more deeply about what each cigarret does to your body while they are smoking it and would have more conscent of the harm they are doing thereselves.

I would put strong images just like these and show real testimonies of people that have smoked for years so they tell their own health problems once they stopped smoking and how these health problems are not reversible, how their breathing problems prevent them from doing sport etc...Also i would show how addictive is it just like a drug, each component and what part of your body is harmed with each one.
Back to top Go down
olivia muñiz

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 10:54 pm

If i were designing an anti smoking tv advertisment i would make a studied recopilation of information about what thins can smoking produce, and what effects does smoking do in people that smoke and the people that are around smokers. i would also make examples of all the deaths that smoking causes every year so that people that smoke are informed, because some people still think that smoking doesnt make any harm to your body.I wold show how your body starts working wrong if you smoke too much, and i would make people understand that it affects you sports life, your breath, and your normal life because you become addicted to it.
Back to top Go down
olivia muñiz

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 11:02 pm

I think that these type of advertisings are very effective on people because allot of people are no enough informed about what can smoking cause and these type of videos create a feeling of concern in terms of health and in body care. I also think that without these videos more people would smoke and would be more ignorant, people would be more relaxes with smoking and with people smoking near other people. I think its very important that people know what are the risks that they are taking and what will the damage they are risking to take for simple vice.
Back to top Go down
nico cox

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 4:19 pm

I personally think that this kind of advertising is really effective, as it shows shocking images that leave smokers (or possible future ones) afraid of smoking. Althoughthe advertising leaves the viewers astonished like ----> affraid , it is still not enough to make most smokers quit, as the nicotine in smokes makes them addicted to them. Another good technique in this advertising is that it shows short AND long term causes so people worry more, as they would be afraid of their present and not only their future.[justify]

If I was in charge of designing a smoking advertisement, I would not focus so much on the fact but on the general appearance of a smoker through his smoking life, showing how a young man (or woman) starts as a normal person who smokes and show how, as he grows up, his voice, teeth even his breathing declines and seems to be dying, which is actually whats happening. My Advertising would end in the man/woman dying because of lung cancer or coffing a lot, then showing a grave with his name.

Also, this is the ugliest elephant I've ever seen ---> elephant
Back to top Go down
J. Ramon Ayarza :)

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 4:25 pm

1. This advertising is effective in various ways. First we can say that is effective because it creates a fear in the possible consumers, and also tells the smokers what is happening to their bodies. It uses real graphic images causing impact on the audience, which I think it might work and cause conscience on the issue; but real smokers won’t stop smoking. The idea of showing different people in different situations makes de advertisement nearer to the audience making it more reliable. The fact that shows short-term causes makes us, people who haven’t start smoking, think again if I really want to smoke a cigarette. Maybe the images shown, cutting a brain in half or opening a lung, might be really shocking to young children, but may have an impact on elder people.

2. I personally think that video advertising, showing shocking images, is the most effective one. Therefore I would use this type of advertising, or maybe the one used in Chile; in the cigarette boxes. The fact that it shows how a normal persons body is getting “dirty”, makes people think about it. And even thought they won’t quit smoking, they might help future generations to stop it. I would also include the effect on pregnant woman and the effects on the environment; this is also an argument that people might find effective.

afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro
afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro
afro afro afro afro afro afro afro cat afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro cat afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro cat afro afro afro afro afro afro cat afro afro afro afro afro cat afro afro afro afro afro cat afro afro afro afro cat afro afro afro afro
Back to top Go down
C.ananias

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 9:31 pm

1)I do think this type of advertising is effective, because it shows real and strong images, it is very graphical and that may shock the person who sees the video ( personaly I did..) maybe it is a little bit too strong and people may not like that for example a father who sees the video with a kid, he would be annoyed of the advertising because it may traumatise his child..
if an adolescent person sees it, they may be traumatised so it is effective, and showing the effects of smoking in your body is good for people to know what smoking makes to every part of your body, and it is important to be informated about since the beggining..

2) If I were designing an anti smoking TV advertisment I would you do something similar, but showing cases of real people telling their stories, for example of how someone got lung cancer, or a person who has bad teeth etc... I would show the two ways you can make up your life..by smoking or by not smoking and having a healthy life... as well at the end of the advertisement I would put information of places were you can have help on how to quit smoking..so that the advertisement is for people who havent smoke and people who are willing to quit it..

Cata Ananias Shocked
Back to top Go down
josefa searle

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 7:30 pm

i do think it is very effective and strong. it is effective because it uses several resources to get the message across as clearly and strongly as possible. it uses strong images, strong and dynamic music, which keeps your atention with the help of fast images. it also includes negative images, and it shows all kinds of people, so more people feel identified with the commercial and are affected by it. but the strongest of all i think is the voice, which repeats several times " cigarette is making you damage", which is quite shocking.

if i where to design a tv adversiment against cigarettes i would probably use shocking images, strong music and probably work with some strong idea like kids, or family or work out any other strong argument to develop
Back to top Go down
Andruchi Avetikian

Andruchi Avetikian

PostSubject: Answers   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:10 pm

I think this type of advertising is effective because it really tells you what smoking does to our organs and our body, showing us normal people, that can be us or whoever, can have those diseases that are shown, so it can also happen to us. This advertisment is hard, it shows some really nasty images that we wont like to see inside us, so it tries to make us change.

If i would to an anti smoking advertisment i would include some real life deaths of cancer, showing the people real lifes that have died through the cause of the cigaretts, or blind people
Back to top Go down
Saray Purto

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 9:54 am

I think this type of advertising is in some point effective, because by using real and shocking images from a person that smokes and how this affected her life, body and organs, and from there anyone who smokes may be able to imagine themselves reflected in her position, and creates consciousness, also on the people who do not smoke, or for young people to have their first smoking information being really hard and crude, to see reality as it is.

If I were to design an anti smoking TV advertisment I would focus mostly to be directed on children and young people, because they are still vulnerable, not like people that already started to smoke which are more difficult to convience to stop smoking. I would use very terrorific music and images, and satanic effects and show how the organs inside as are affected by smoking, and the life cycle of a non-smoker person and a smoker, showing also statistics and numbers of deaths, money inverted, etc etc.

Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anti-Smoking Advertising
Page 1 of 1