The Grange Biology Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Grange Biology Forum

An open forum for members of the Grange Biology community to exchange ideas and information

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)

Go down 
+19
Rocio Bianchi
Daniela Prato
fernandamontes
josefina bendersky
Teresita Eyzaguirre S
cristina esnaola
mikel villalabeitita
fdofantini
diego_ledermann
Isabella Montero
pascale munjin
Sr. Reizin
Catalina Olavarria
Emi Lynch
kim jana
ameliazautzik
dtabak
soli gutierrez
Admin
23 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Empty
PostSubject: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Watch the videos in the 2nd Medio page; The Worlds Largest Microscope and The Scientific Revolution.

In 150 words or less state whether you think the following statement is true or false and explain why,

¨The invention of the microscope was the most important development during the scientific revolution in our understanding of life¨

You may have to do further research about the Scientific Revolution on the internet to answer this question. If you do please include references.

DUE DATE: You must answer these questions by the start of your second class during Week 22 (16/8/10) Razz

Back to top Go down
https://grangebiology.forumotion.com
soli gutierrez

PostSubject: awnser to question about microscopes and scientific revolution   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 7:08 pm

I think it is true because with the help of the microscope all the “Little mysteries” of the universe may be discovered by watching how particles behave, and it is the only apparatus that lets you observe fully even the samallest things. By the use of the microscope scientist discover that sperm cells were involve in reproduction (with a nonsensical theory but they did). We are able to observe atoms, the essentiality of all life in the universe and so giving us the facility to understand our environment better and its behavior, allowing us to use it in our own benefit. By observing atoms we were able to create all we have today, from pencils to spacecrafts. The fact that scientist think they can build a spaceship that could possibly go to mars by making aluminum alloys is incredible, and it is all due to the microscope, because without it they wouldn’t even know what aluminum is and how does it behave. With the help of microscopes we have been able to make new discoveries in order to know how human beings and the world were made, making us understand our origins.
Back to top Go down
dtabak

PostSubject: I think it’s true. The invention of the microscope was one of the most important i during the scientific revolution in our understanding of life because with it we are able to observe a small world we aren’t aware of, of atoms and cells. These are very im   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 7:50 pm

I think it’s true. The invention of the microscope was one of the most important i during the scientific revolution in our understanding of life because with it we are able to observe a small world we aren’t aware of, of atoms and cells. These are very important because that’s what our body and every organism are made of, so by being able to see them we are going to have a clearer understanding of how life and its’ processes work. By using the microscope we are being able to see beyond what the human eye can see, leading to new discoveries, like when they discovered the sperm cells and how they were related with reproduction. Now thanks to electronic microscopes we can even see chromosomes and single atoms, making it easy to differentiate the different types of cells in each organism which help us to find cures for diseases, making human life last longer.
Back to top Go down
ameliazautzik

PostSubject: Re: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 9:41 pm

It’s true, because it introduced us to the microscopic world which was revolutionary in a way that now man kind would know that there are smaller things than the once seen by the human eye. By these scientist can have a more accurate view of life because of the understanding of cells and molecular composition, satisfying a bit more the “human need for understanding”. By having knowledge of atoms and other particles there have being more advances in technology and inventions of different things just as shown in the video “The World's Most Powerful Microscope” where there are working with combinations of different metals and aluminum to be able to create a spaceship that can support the journey to Mars.
Back to top Go down
kim jana

PostSubject: Re: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 9:05 pm

I believe that the invention of the microscope was very important for humanity, as it led to new discoveries of other worlds, humans didnt even dream of knowing. In this new world many things were discovered, such as cells and atoms. The microscopes are important as it didnt only let us discover new things in biology(cures against diseases), but also in the other sciences, such as chemistry and physics. The invention of the microscope let us into a whole new universe of possibilities, making us understand life, eg: its behaviour, surrounding and reason.
Kim Jana
Back to top Go down
Emi Lynch

PostSubject: Re: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 8:47 pm

I think that microscopes was a great invention, and vital for humanity, due to the things it has allowed scientists over the world discover. It has opened the eyes of civilization to things that before were unimaginable, such as cells and atoms, etc. To be able to see these things helps us reach a wider and better understanding as to how our body works or how other organism work, and also of what they are made up. Though there were many important discoveries and theories made in the scientific revolution, such as the telescope or Copernicus's theory of heliocentrism, the microscope was an invention highly used still today, and vital for all biologists as well as doctors, etc. The microscope has become the base not only of biology but of chemistry as well since it allows us to look at the atoms and particles that make up elements and compounds, etc.
Back to top Go down
Catalina Olavarria

PostSubject: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:13 pm

I believe is true. I think that the invention of the microscope during the scientific revolution was one of the most important inventions. Due to it's function, which is to let the human see, everything our eye can´t see. It is a transcendable inventions as it shows what everything is made of. It helps us see the composition of every mass that exists in our world. It shows us particles, cells, chromosomes, atoms. All of we are made of. It is important to discover how do we, and every mass that exists works. Which components does it have, for then to develope and get to new invention as cure to diseases, inventions, and every important scientific experiment, study, or invention. For example a sperm could be seen, so then humans couls undersant how we were born. Also for example to people who can´t get pregnant because of this invention now it is possible. The microscope was one of the most if not the most important inventions during the period of scientific revolutions due to it's capacity to see each mass composing, and to show how things work, what are they made of, and it's functions. This leads to being the most important invention.
Back to top Go down
Sr. Reizin

PostSubject: Microscopes   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:27 pm

I think that the invention of the microscopes meant a huge advance for science. Some people might say that it was the most important invention, but we also have to consider that the telescope was also a very important scientific invention, and that the microscope was developed in base of the telescope.
By inventing the microscopes, now humans were able to notice what ere cells and how did they look. By having this, it became easier to understand how was the body made and also how it worked. Now, due to the small size of the cells, a microscope was needed to visualize them, so now with the microscope, things became clear for scientists.
The microscope meant a revolution in science, now sceintists could study infected cells and create curees to thos infections.
Back to top Go down
pascale munjin

PostSubject: Re: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:32 pm

I thik it is true, the microscope was the most important invention during cientific revolution because withought its existance, medicine could be less advanced than what it is today, and scientist also could be stuck in what the new till the microscope was invented. Also with it, we can see smaller things that sorround us that are not visible for human eye, like bacteria, plant and animal cells and many other things that we are not aware they are around us. We can say that a "new" world has been discovered and we can see things that we never imagine of, for example the atoms, things that are so small but have so many things to teach us from our own world, body and sorrounding.
With it, also many diseases have been detected that withought the microscope "help" scientist or doctors can not see the damage or how fast they grow in number inside our body and with the information, treat the desease or even find a cure. So yes, i believe the microscope has been a great invention for scientific advences and humanity.
Back to top Go down
Isabella Montero

PostSubject: Re: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 11:35 pm

Although during this time many discoveries were made in all areas of science that are vital to understand science today, the microscope is the most important one in order to understand life. Once scientists were able to visualize the smaller things in the world around them, all sorts of ideas followed, and not only in biology. For example, Brownian motion of particles was discovered because of the microscope, and today, the chemical buildup of things can be viewed through an electron microscope (as seen in the video). In conclusion, the invention of the microscope was definitely one of the most important innovations of the scientific revolution. Maybe not THE most important one, but it has to be one of the top five. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
diego_ledermann

PostSubject: The invention of the microscope was the most important development during the scientific revolution in our understanding of life¨   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 11:44 pm

I think that the statement is correct. the microscope granted the human the power of watching the smallest particles, such as the cells, atoms etc. this, at the time of the scientific revolution was a great discovery. the fact that now the human could see how their body's worked, how they were organized and how cells worked meant a revolution for humanity. with the microscope, biology could be studied deeper, creating new study methods, new remedies for diseases and generating a new way of looking life itself. now, the human could see the things that with their plain eyes they could not, creating answers to many of the things that without the microscope could not be answered. basically, the microscope was a very important at the scientific revolution as it changed completely how the human saw the world around him, therefore, its is one of the most important or the most important invention at the time.
Back to top Go down
fdofantini

PostSubject: ¨The invention of the microscope was the most important development during the scientific revolution in our understanding of life¨   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 7:47 pm

I think that the miscroscope was ONE of the most important developments during the science revolution, but not the only one. I do think that giving the human eye the power to look at things that are so small for the eye itself to see is a great thing that made the human "make what he does the best" discover more and more things. This is not the most important and not the ONLY one because of many other things also created in the time. Things as the telescope and cultural paintings are as important as the microscope because of their importance of making the human more intelligent and discover other things that werent even in this planet.

Fdo F
Back to top Go down
mikel villalabeitita

PostSubject: Re: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 10:29 pm

it is true, because the invention of the microscope enabled people to discover new things about the human body and it also enabled people to see what we are made of, "cells", which was a great new step towards discovering new things about our own organism. it is also very important as it provided a basis for the now-a-day microscopes, which enable us to see things such as atoms and have had an enormous relevance in discoveries although more in chemistry than in biology.
Back to top Go down
cristina esnaola

PostSubject: Re: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:11 pm

i believe that the invention of the microscope was the most important development during the scientific revolution because it allowed us to study in much more detail our body and other things such as animals and plants. It was a breakthrough for science in every way. Once scientists were able to visualize the littlest things it became much easier to understand the natural processes of life and human beings. Finally, I personally think it's very interesting, almost magical to see things through the microscope that we cant see with our eyes. flower
Back to top Go down
Teresita Eyzaguirre S

PostSubject: Re: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:27 pm

In my personal opinion, I consider that the invention of the microscope as the most important invention in the scientific world we know today can be argued, since microscopes are extremely relevant in our modern science, yet, there are many other inventions that can be included in this category. Microscopes makes available to us humans, the discovery of atoms and particles which would have been impossible to observe, added to the fact that now a days not only is the light microscope excellent, in fact, the electron microscope is by far much more exact in its results. Furthermore, microscopes can be used to produce new medicines and cures for diseases since they permit precise and accurate observations. On the other hand, in our world there have been many more discoveries and inventions such as the telescope, which is vital in our understanding of the universe. Also, which in my personal opinion is more important than the instruments mentioned before, the scanner, which allows a full body "scan" and permits humans to fully study the human body, in it's magnificent complexity.

To conclude, I would like to state one more time what I think about the advances of science in our world. As well as microscopes, I consider that the most important instruments to understand where we live and how it works, are the telescope, the scanner, the x-rays.. and more.

Tere Eyzaguirre
Back to top Go down
josefina bendersky

PostSubject: Re: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:02 am

Personally, I think that the invention of the microscope is the most important invention during the Scientific Revolution. Even though there where many other discoveries which opened people's minds and showed them a completely different world, some of these being the telescope, the law of gravity, the heliocentric theory, among many others. The microscope also opened a whole new world to the people living on those times, they saw thinks they thought they could never SEE with their own eyes, and after this discovery, they could. It was useful not only for scientist to observe things from another perspective, but also for people to understand things they weren't able to explain before. The way the cells worked, for example, was explained, as they could see clearly the parts which composed these, so this led to the division of the cells (the numerous types that exist), and their characteristics and functions. This was only one example of what the microscope brought to us, and its importance. This is why I think that this apparatus is the most important invention in the Scientific Revolution. It shows us basically how life works.

Josefina Bendersky Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fernandamontes

PostSubject: Microscopes and the scientific revolution   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:20 am

¨The invention of the microscope was the most important development during the scientific revolution in our understanding of life¨

The only way to understand something, is by analizing it from the most complex part to the most general. The only way to understand life, is by analizing all of its infinite details. I do believe then, that the invention of the microscope was the most important development for the understanding of life, because by using it, scientists were able to understand how life worked.
A good example for this statement, is the fact that by the use of a microscope they knew that the sperm cell had to do with reproduction. In this example, we're talking about the origins of human life, and how microscopes helped in the understanding of it.
Without microscopes, nobody would really know what things are made of, and if we dont know that, we probably dont understand life.
Fernanda Montes
Back to top Go down
Daniela Prato

PostSubject: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:38 am

I think the microscope was a very important and essential invention during the scientific revolution to the world. Without microscopes existence, medicines and cures for diseases knowledge would be in disadvantage in comparison with the variety of diseases occurring now a days. Since they allow scientists discover of what particles are made of, atoms and cells, everything, not just in medicinal research, but on chemistry and physics, and counting, they are way further improved. Technology and answers to how things work were also improved, life went easier since then.
An essential part of life, in our world, is to have the facility to understand our environment and the reasons of why things happen. Microscopes are vital; they are answers to questions of humanity.
Once scientists were able to visualize the smallest particle existence, everything became much easier to understand in all subject-matter in the world. So, yes, I believe microscopes have created an important twist in every positive aspect.

DaniP
Back to top Go down
Rocio Bianchi

PostSubject: Re: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 9:48 pm

In my personal opinion I belive this fact its absolutley true because it was a exelent invetion, they discovered a new world that can´t even be seen by a human eye. This invention opened to unimaginable ideas and thoughts to human civilization and also helped us to understand better our body and how it works. I find this awsome because they revolutionated science that help to discover al types of theories and ideas that now a day are very important and vital for the understanding of many things and the discovery of incredible things such as the discovery of viruses that damage our body and thanks to that me can create medicines etc. It was a incredible discovery but maybe it wasn`t the only important dicovery in time. In conclusion this fact helped alot to open wider our minds to new unbelievable discoveries, ideas and thats really fascinating!

Rocio Bianchi
Back to top Go down
laura andrighetti

PostSubject: Re: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 10:56 pm

In my personal opinion I think that the he invention of the microscope was one of the most important during the scientific revolution in our understanding of life. Microscopes make it possible to see inside the cells that make up all living organisms. Which helps us understand how life and its proceses work, making it easier for us to understand and cure many diseases improving our health, life quality and expectancy. Without it we wouldnt be such a developed society and far more vunerable.
laura andrighetti

Back to top Go down
magnumrestrepo

PostSubject: Microscopes   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 2:22 pm

It is clear that the invention of microscopes is one of the most revolutionary inventions of in science, and it has enabled us to study and understand the structure of cells and atoms, a thing that we had never even dreamt of before. This has allowed scientist to make incredible advances in various scientific fields, such as medicine, chemistry, physic, etc; and because of that our civilization has developed amazingly.
It is also semsible to consider other inventions in the scientific world. For example the scanner which allows us to fully study the human body. There is also the telescope has been crucial in the study of the universe and the understanding of our origins.
In conclusion, i say that there are many invents, equally revolutionary, which have helped to develop different fields in the sciences. queen
Back to top Go down
Fran Martinez

PostSubject: Re: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 12:36 am

I think that the invention of the microscope was the most important development during the scientific revolution in our understanding of life, because this object has help us develope. I think that the microscope has help scientists to discover things that maybe they would have never discovered if the microscope wouldn´t be invented.
The microscope can see really tiny things that the human eye can´t so it is really usefull, and also many cures for diseases have been found only because of this. Alsonew species can be studied, and cells can be seen with full detail.
The microscope has been a really helpfull invention for humanity.

Back to top Go down
franco bozzalla

PostSubject: Re: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 8:07 pm

I would agree that the invention of the microscope was the most important development during the scientific revolution in our understanding of life, because it changed the way on how scientists work. After the invention, scientists were able to know the composition of living and non-living things, that made them think in a different way, so that they can create more accurate solutions to the problems presented, for example they were able to create new types of medicine, making life last longer. Also they were able to make new materials that made life easier. Microscopes make it possible to see inside the cells that make up all living organisms. Without microscopes we could not see, or begin to understand, how life works.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)   Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Grange Biology Forum :: PAULA DE LA MAZA :: 2nd Medio :: Microscopes and the Scientific Revolution (PMA)-
Jump to: