The Grange Biology Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Grange Biology Forum

An open forum for members of the Grange Biology community to exchange ideas and information

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Kidney Disease and the Solutions

Go down 
+19
jose maria mora
domingolopez
josefina silva
diego espinoza
Matías Christiansen
Crescente Elbo
NicolasBitar
bdevidts
Macarena Moreno
Emilia Valenzuela
antonia mardones
joaquin bezanilla
Dominique Stuijt
Teresa Purto
Anders Skog
Nicolas Delorenzo
Trinidad Campusano
Andres Riveros
Admin
23 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Kidney Disease and the Solutions Empty
PostSubject: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Watch the following video; The Basics of Kidney Disease. Also read pages 134-135 of your textbook.

In at least 150 words answer the following questions,

1) What type of people are most likely to suffer from kidney disease?

2) How can kidney disease best be prevented?

3) If you were suffering from Kidney disease, which form of treatment would you prefer to have; Kidney Dialysis or a Kidney transplant? Explain clearly why.

You may need to do some extra internet research to answer these questions. If you do please include references.

DUE DATE: You must answer these questions by the start of your second class during Week 22 (16/8/10)
[i]

Back to top Go down
https://grangebiology.forumotion.com
Andres Riveros

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 7:34 pm

The people that have more risk in suffering a kidney disease are people that eat lots of salty foods, lots of sugar foods and lots of fat foods. This is because each of these can cause hypertension (elevated blood pressure), diabetes (too much glucose on our blood) or a high cholesterol level. All these 3 things are the ones that are most likely to cause a kidney failure.
Kidney disease is easily prevented by controlling all the factors that affect it, such as high blood pressure or high glucose levels, regularly. This creates awareness of the disease and can be treated more efficiently. Exercise helps us to regulate our cholesterol and blood pressure, making them be at an optimum level, reducing the possibility of a kidney failure.
Personally, between choosing a kidney dialysis or transplant, it depends on the situation, because if my kidney failure is small, I would prefer a kidney dialysis because it's cheaper and easier to do. On the other hand, if my kidney failure is critical, I would certainly ask for a transplant, because, although it’s more expensive, getting a new kidney would be a safer way to act, because the dialysis treatment could fail at any minute.
Back to top Go down
Trinidad Campusano

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 4:41 pm

1.- The peolpe that are most likely to suffer from kidney disease are people that have other problems such as hypertension, diabetes, or a high cholesterol level. These can be caused by eating foods with high amounts of salts, sugars or cholesterol. People are more likely to have kidney failure when they have one or more of these conditions.
2.- We can easily prevent kidney disease by doing sports and eating healthy. This is to control our blood pressure and glucose and salt levels in our blood. Also by being aware of our own body and doing the necesary tests when required to know if our kidneys are still functioning properly.
3.- If I had to choose between a kidney transplant or dialysis, I would prefer a transplant. Even though is much more expensive than dialysis, it can be much more safe, because dialysis could fail and kindey transplant would give me a new kidney. Anyway people can live with one kidney, so if a transplant isn't possible because there is no doner, I would live with one kindey.
Back to top Go down
Nicolas Delorenzo

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 9:23 pm

1) The people that are more likely to have a kidney disease are people that eat a lot of sugar, fats and salt on their food because these three thing leads to have hypertension this means you have a high blood pressure, high levels of cholesterol and diabetes that is a large amount of sugar on the blood. This three main thing are the ones that are most common top provoke kidney disease.

2) You can prevent the kidney disease by controlling the effects that cause it for example eat healthy so you have a good level of sugar or you can do exercise to get a healthy heart rate. Also we can prevent by having awareness of the disease so then you can have the correct exams and you are always aware of it.

3) Depending on the situation, I would prefer dialysis when the kidney is not too damaged because is easier and cheaper but if the kidney has something more serious I would prefer a transplant because is safer and it gives you a complete healthy kidney.
Back to top Go down
Anders Skog

PostSubject: Kidney disease   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 7:28 pm

1) The people at most risk of suffering a kidney disease are people with high blood pressure or hypertension, which is an elevated blood pressure. Diabetes is also a risk factor and age doesn’t make a difference. When these two conditions are present together, kidney disease is much more probable to occur.
2) Kidney disease can be prevented by lowering blood pressure. This can be done by doing regular exercise or by having a healthy diet, which also lowers the blood sugars and the cholesterol in our body. Also, if people are aware of the causes of the disease, they can start doing exercise and eating well, which will lower the risks of getting the disease.
3) If I would have kidney disease I would use a treatment depending on the circumstances. If I would have acute kidney disease I would obviously choose kidney transplant, to be able to have a good life. If the kidney disease was not that serious I would use kidney dialysis, but if this didn’t allow me to have a quality life I would change and do a transplant.
Back to top Go down
Teresa Purto

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 1:16 pm

1.People that have greater risk at suffering kidney desease is people that have high blood pressure, hypertension and/or sugar diabetes, people that incude a high percentage of fats, sugars and salts in their diets. Also you may be vulnerable if any of your parents or grand parents suffer kidney desease.

2. Being always aware, this means cheking you blood pressure regularly, blood test, urine test, but also if we practice sport regularly and have a healthy diet, we lower our blood pressure, sugar in blood and colesterol, and by decreasing these three factors there is an improvement in the kidney functions.

3. If I were suffering from kidney desease, i would have a kidney transplant, because nowadays it is has a high rate of success, and the kidney Dialysis is time consuming, it needs to be constant and you come entirely dependen on it, but as in transpalnts there is also a waiting list I would apply for transpalnt and use the Dialysis treatment meanwhile.
Back to top Go down
Dominique Stuijt

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 6:00 pm

1.People who are more likely to suffer from kidney disease are the one who have diabetes or sugar diabetes, high blood pressure or hypertension. The combination of both diabetes and hypertension (which is elevated blood pressure) raises the risk of suffering the illness. There is also a great possibility of inheriting the disease from parents or grandparents.
2.Kidney disease may be prevented by having an adequate diet and exercising because it helps to lower blood pressure, levels of blood sugar and cholesterol, which are the three factors that may be a major problem for the progression of kidney disease if they are not controlled. It is also important to do a blood and urine test, especially if you are more likely to have this disease; this means people with diabetes and/or hypertension, which should do it annually or more frequently.
3.Personally, I would prefer dialysis because to find a donor is very difficult, and because, after the surgery you have to take lots of drugs to prevent your immune system to destroy the donor’s kidneys. However, dialysis disrupts abruptly the patient’s life because the sessions are very long, around 7 hours, three times a week.
Back to top Go down
joaquin bezanilla

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 7:08 pm

People who have more chances to have kidney disease are the people that eat lots of salty foods and foods with lots of sugar. This is because this foods bring hypertention and diabetes. Or a high cholesterol level.
Kidney disease can be prevented avoiding this 3 things just mentioned, or controlling it if you are already with one or more of those problems. Lots of sport can help alot, for reducing cholesterol amounts and blood pressure, so you can pervent this kidney disease.
If i would suffer Kidney disease, i would only use dialysis if would be a VERY small problem, because i would not like to give any chances of having bigger problems, even though a transplant is much more expensive, its worth paying it.
Back to top Go down
antonia mardones

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:02 pm

3) If you were suffering from Kidney disease, which form of treatment would you prefer to have; Kidney Dialysis or a Kidney transplant? Explain clearly why.

1. people who are most likely to suffer from kidney disease are people which have high blood pressure, hypertension, people that have a high level of sugar, salt and fats in their body and also diabetes, which is a problem because the age is not a factor for getting it. the possibility of suffering kidney disease is much bigger if you have all this conditions and also if your parents or grand parents suffered it.

2. kidney disease can be prevented by different factors, cheking regularly blood pressure, must be low this can be getr by making lots of excercise and getting a helathy diet. also making blood tests, urine tests,.

3. if I was suffering from kidney disease i which opt for a kidney transplant because I think its much simple than the kidney dialysis and I could enjoy much more my life.

Back to top Go down
Emilia Valenzuela

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 9:24 pm

1. People who are most likely to suffer from kidney disease are those who have problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure/hypertension (elevated blood pressure). The combination of this two makes kidney disease much more likely to happen. It can also be inherited from your parents or grandparents.

2. Kidney disease can be prevented by being always aware. By this, it means checking your blood pressure regularly. Also by doing sports and having healthy diet helps to lower blood pressure, the blood sugars and cholesterol in the body.

3. If I were suffering of kidney disease, personally I prefer a kidney transplant because its safer and very successful instead of dialysis because the second one is time consuming and the sessions are very long, but meanwhile we find a transplant, I would do dialysis.
Back to top Go down
Macarena Moreno

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 6:47 pm

1.- People that have an unbalanced meal, high in salts, fats and/or sugars are more likely to suffer a kidney disease because they deliver to hypertension (high blood pressure), diabetes and high cholesterol level. If somebody suffers more of the three illnesses mentioned before, have a higher possibility to suffer kidney diseases.

2.- You can prevent kidney diseases controlling the effects that cause it. An example for this is having a healthy diet, with the correct percentage of salts, fats and sugars. Another hay is to have a nice sport life. This controls your blood pressure and our glucose level in the body.

3.- If the kidney problem is small, I’ll prefer to do kidney dialysis because it is less risky and cheaper. Having a kidney transplant is not 100% efficient because there is a possibility that your body rejects the organ, but if my kidney disease was too advanced, it would be easier to have a transplant because dialysis is too long and you depend on it for the rest of your life.
Back to top Go down
bdevidts

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 7:38 pm

1) People that have diabetes, hypertension or high colesterol level has more probability to suffer kidney disease.
2)You can prevent kidney disease by doing alot of sport, having a balance diet and doing some blood test and urine test to prevent
3) I would like a kidney transplant because it would be easier than dialysis, and dialysis take to much time
Back to top Go down
NicolasBitar

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 8:32 pm

1) People that have a higher possibility to have Kidney Disease are the ones who suffer from hypertension, diabetes or sugar diabetes and high blood cholesterol levels. Another great possibility if one of your family members has kidney disease, it can be inherited.

2) The easier and most healthy way to prevent kidney disease is exercising and having a balanced diet. It is also vital to have regular blood and urine test from the age of 18. This way you can detect Kidney Disease hopefully at an early stage. These tests are recommended also if a family member suffers from kidney disease.

3) I would choose depending on the kind and danger the kidney disease represents for my life. If it is small I would prefer dialysis, it is slower but it is more trust able. If the disease is severe I would choose the transplant even if it requires that something can go wrong.
Back to top Go down
Crescente Elbo

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 9:58 pm

1.- Kidney disease is mostly common in: people who have sugar diabetes, as the name suggests its a rise in the glucose levels of the blood, people with hypertension, high blood pressure, and people with high cholesterol levels, it is also worth mentioning that one could inherit a kidney disease. Combining these creates a higher chance of contracting kidney disease which is obviously dangerous.
2.- Kidney disease can be prevented by having a balanced diet and a regular exercise routine, this should help with high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels. If you have a family history of kidney disease then you should try to regularly test for kidney disease to detect kidney disease in its early stages before it worsens.
3.- It would depend on how bad my situation is. If my disease isn't in a critical state I'd have dialysis even though it'd be tiresome and would take more time than the transplant the, problem with transplants when the kidneys are still functional is that I would be taking a kidney from someone who might need it urgently, the transplant should only be done when the disease reaches a point were kidneys stop working and there is no other chance of saving the sick person.
Back to top Go down
Matías Christiansen

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 11:38 pm

1. The people that are at high risk to have kidney problems are those who have a combination of diabetes and hypertension, high blood presure(greater than 120/70) and family history of kidney disease. Also, african americans, hispanics, pacific islanders, native americans and seniors are at increased risk.
2. The easier and most healthy way to prevent kidney disease is exercising and having a good balanced diet. It is also important to have regular blood and urine test from the age of 18. This way you can detect Kidney Disease hopefully at an early age. These tests are also recommended if a family member suffers from kidney disease.
3. If the kidney problem is small, I’ll prefer to do kidney dialysis because it is less risky and cheaper than a kidney transplant. Having a kidney transplant is not 100% efficient because there is a possibility that your body rejects the organ, but if my kidney disease was too advanced, it would be easier to have a transplant because dialysis is too long and you depend on it for the rest of your life.

Back to top Go down
diego espinoza

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:58 pm

1. peolple that have high blood presure, diabetes or hypertension are most likely to have kidney disease.
2. the ways to prevent kidney disease are: doing alot of sport, eating healthy(this is to control our glucose and salt levels in our blood and blood pressure) and takeing urine exams every year.
3. if it was a small problem I would choose dialysis because is less risky.
Back to top Go down
josefina silva

PostSubject: kidney   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:50 pm

1. The people who are most likely to suffer from kidney disease are people who suffer of a high blood pressure or diabetes.

2. A kidney disease could be prevented by different ways, such as: exercising regularly, seeing regularly the doctor to have yourself checked, increasing or drinking lots of water and controlling the diet.

3. if I suffered of a kidney disease I would liked to have a kidney transplant because my day life would be less affected than a kidney dialysis where I would have to be with a machine all day.

josefina silva 1A
What a Face
Back to top Go down
domingolopez

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:24 pm

1) Usually, the peolpe that are most likely to have somne kind of kidney disease are the people that have other health problems such as diabetes or hypertencion. These diseases can be caused by eating a lot of salty food or sugary food or with high cholesterol. People will be more likely to have kidney diseases when they have some of this eating rutines.
2) its easy to prevent kidney disease by doing a lot of sports and eating healthy food every day. If you dont do this, your blood pressure, glucose and salt levels in our blood get out of control.
3) i think that I would prefer a transplant much more than a dyalisis because, even though its a lot more expensive, it is much more safe (dialysis is likely to go wrong and kindey transplant would basically give me a new better an healthier kidney). human beings can accualy live normaly with just one kidney so if you dont have the money for a kidney transplant (or a dialysis) the can perfectly survive
Back to top Go down
jose maria mora

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:58 pm

People most likley to suffer from kidney disease are those who suffer of hypertension that is an elevated blood pressure (grater than 120/70), diabetis or have a family history of one of those. There are some other causes, but this are the most common ones for kidney disease. Also people that drink a lot are very likely to suffer from this disease.

It can be prevented by doing exercise and having a balanced diet. Other way to prevent it is by having made blood tests and urine tests once a year for healthy people and monthly for people that have a mayor cause of kidney disease.

I would prefer a kidney transplant, because it finishes once and for all with the disease. It would allow you to let more time pass until you have to do another blood testing or urine sample. If you have one of the other treatments, you would have to continue with the same life and being treated frequently.
Back to top Go down
Sebastian Massardo

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:02 am

In at least 150 words answer the following questions,

1) What type of people are most likely to suffer from kidney disease?
People that are older have more probabilities of having kidneys disease. Also people that have hypertension suffer of kidneys disease.
If you are younger is prefering to do lots of exercise. Also if you have an age of 30 to 60 years old is always good to take a walk or some running.

2) How can kidney disease best be prevented?
To prevent kidney disease you can do lots of things, for example: doing exercise, eating healthy, visiting doctor all the years, etc..
A good answer for that question is by eating a balance diet all your life and do not eat mcdonalds or food that are not good for your healthy. Also if you smoke that affects you and also affects the people that is around you.

If the kidney disease its not so big I prefer dialysis because of my safety.

Back to top Go down
Eric P.

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 9:39 pm

1- The black afro-americans are the most likely to suffer from this disease, due to the fact that they are who have the higher caseses of suffering from diabetes, high pressure and glomerulonephritis (term: group of diseases that damage blood filtering parts of the kidney). As said by National Kidney Foundation experts.

2- If you are diabetic: Do not use medicines before consulting your doctor previously. Taking medicines for high blood pressure and diabetes regularly, and following doctor's instructions.
If you're not: Excercise regularly and keep a heathy diet, so that the body does not need to get rid of unuseful substances.

3- I would rather get the dialysis, because the kidney transplant would mean: to spend a huge amount of money at the clinic (even though with the dialysis you are connected to machines), and would also mean having to buy huge amounts of immune-suppressors so that my body does not attack the transplanted kidney. Anyway, the body can regenerate itself through eating proteins through a balanced diet, and a person CAN live without a kidney, but the remaining kidney would have to do the work of the missing one and for so probably get spoiled over time with an unhealthy diet.
Back to top Go down
Raimundo de la Fuente

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 8:41 pm

People that are most likely to suffer this disease are the ones with high blood pressure (hypertension) or diabetes (sugar diabetes).An accident, an infection, a serious wound in the kidneyor medicines toxic to this organ can also cause this disease. Sometimes kidney disease can be inherited by parents or granparents.

Kidney disease can be prevented by being aware about this disease exist by controlling your blood pressure, making yourselves blood tests and urine tests frequently. Also doing diet and exersise contantly because this will help you to lower (controll) blood sugars and cholesterol.

I would prefer definitely kidney transplant because a machine controlling my body will prevent me from doing a great quantiy of activities I do every day such as sports. A new kidney for me would be a lot better because it provides me more freedom and will act as any other organs in my body and wouldnt notice the kidney isnt mine. In the long term a transplant also is much cheaper than a machine and after recovering from the operation your life would come to its normal state.

[center]Raimundo de la Fuente
Back to top Go down
clementerojas

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 10:54 pm

1. Kidney disease may occur because of a traumatic injury with blood loss, the sudden reduction of blood flow through the kidney. Mostly occurs to people with hypertension, or with high pressure.

2. Kidney disease may be prevented doing routines of exercise daily. Also having healthy diets that help the body to control cholesterol in our body. Its about reducing the blood pressure.

3. I think I would choose dialysis. I suppose its better because its quite difficult to find a donor. Another reason is that after the kidney is implanted to your body you have to consume some drugs so your body does not destroy the donated kidney.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kidney Disease and the Solutions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Grange Biology Forum :: NANCY FREEMAN :: 1st Medio :: Kidney Disease and the Solutions (NFR)-
Jump to: