The Grange Biology Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Grange Biology Forum

An open forum for members of the Grange Biology community to exchange ideas and information

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Kidney Disease and the Solutions

Go down 
+46
isabella st.
fernando orrego
antonia.hurtado
tomasarce
carlos.munoz
fernanda valiente
francisco grgurina
Anto Rodriguez
vicente
Cata Muñoz
gregorio ingham
Martina Cuevas
matias orpis
pablo.cotera
Martino Egidio
Pedro Varela
Nico Aveta 7
Philip Black
M.J. Ojeda
Oscar Leria
renata diuana
vale zamorano
matiasnoguera
ileana correa
Nicolas Delorenzo
carlosklein
sebastian muñoz
Francisco Rencoret
Deborah Trumper.
Francisca Fuchs
sharon210
Joako Ruiseñor
SRojas
sebastian.aguayo
Manuela Lasserre
pascale christiansen
Daniela Fischer
tomas.silva
Juan Cristobal Barriga
domi perramont
alvaroq
carina vera
Benja Blas
Consuelo Dezerega
andres suazo
Admin
50 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Kidney Disease and the Solutions Empty
PostSubject: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 3:43 pm

Watch the following video; The Basics of Kidney Disease. Also read pages 134-135 of your textbook.

In at least 150 words answer the following questions,

1) What type of people are most likely to suffer from kidney disease?

2) How can kidney disease best be prevented?

3) If you were suffering from Kidney disease, which form of treatment would you prefer to have; Kidney Dialysis or a Kidney transplant? Explain clearly why.

You may need to do some extra internet research to answer these questions. If you do please include references.

DUE DATE: You must answer these questions by the start of your second class during Week 22 (16/8/10)
[i]

Back to top Go down
https://grangebiology.forumotion.com
andres suazo

PostSubject: alejandro aylwin :)   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 5:53 pm

1.People with high blood pressure and/or diabetes are most likely to be affected by kidney diseases.

2. You can prevent kidney diseases by exercising regularly, drinking lots of water, and have yourself checked regularly by the doctor:).

3. If I suffered of a kidney disease, I would choose to have a kidney transplant, due to the fewer diet restrictions and I would have a better chance of living longer and healthier Smile

alejandro aylwin SmileSmileSmile
Back to top Go down
Consuelo Dezerega

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 10:14 pm

1) People who have high pressure or diabetes (diabetes mellitus specially) are at a higher risk. Also of note are people with a famil history of kidney diseases or high pressure/diabetes. Kidney diseases (kidney failure) may also originate from accidents, but this is more unfrequent.

2) By a good diet and plenty of exercise. In the video, awareness of kidney diseases and of test results may also help in preventing kidney disease.

3) Kidney transplant. It would be less disruptive with the daily routines and allows for more freedom. Additionally, having a kidney transplant is technically easier (surgeon+medics versus medics+rare machinery+very few trained staff in the case of dialysis), as per the Biology textbook (can't remember which pages yet).

- Consuelo Dezerega. study
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 1:36 pm

sñeoifsoifserñOFI
Back to top Go down
https://grangebiology.forumotion.com
Benja Blas

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 6:41 pm

1- The most common is sugar diabetes, followed by high blood pressure, also called hypertension (elevated blood pressure). You can also inherit this kind of disease. Or you can get acute kidney disease, this kind of kidney disease you can get from a accident in which your kidneys where hurt and stopped functioning.

2- Our risk of having kidney disease can always lower if we increase our exercise, check yourself regularly and any other thing that lowers our blood pressure.

3- I would choose kidney transplant. Kidney transplant does not have so many regulations (with exception of the recovery after the surgery), you can be yourself again without having to follow any king of special diet.

Benjamín Blas Very Happy
Back to top Go down
carina vera

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 7:23 pm

1) People who suffer of diabetes and high glucose levels in the blood, people with a high blood pressure-called hypertension- or people who can inherite the kidneys disease also are the most likely to suffer from this disease.

2) The best way to prevent kidney disease is by controlling your diet, cholesterol and cheking your blood and sugar levels regurarly, doing lots of excersie frequently and drinking water, and simlpy being aware of your blood pressure. All these help the kidneys and you from getting the disease

3) I would prefer a kidney transplant. At the beginning, the cost of the operationa nd all may seem high, but through out time, it is much cheaper than using dialysis. Its hard to have to live your whole life stuck to a machine, it reduces your movement, and may be inefficienter becaus eof having to renew the dialysis fluid, etc...

Carina Vera bounce afro
Back to top Go down
alvaroq

PostSubject: The Basics of Kidney Disease   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 7:42 pm

1) People with high blood pressure and people that suffer from diabetes. The people that have these problems are more likely to suffer of a kidney disease.
2) Being aware of what your pressure is, making exercise and eating a balanced diet. It can also be prevented by drinking at least 2 liters of water a day so the kidneys keep on FILTERING.
3) If I suffered from kidney disease I would've had a kidney transplant so that my excretory system works well and I wouldn't have to think about my previous illness, but the only problem with kidney transplant would've been the transplanted kidney started failing again.

Álvaro Quirante 1º Medio D Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
domi perramont

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 8:07 pm

1) People who have hypertension (elevated blood pressure) or diabetes or both. People with history in their families of these diseases may also have a higher chance of suffering of kidney disease. People may also inherit this disease.

2) To prevent kidney disease people should regularly go to the doctor, maybe once a year,(specially if the person has any of the diseases mentioned above) to check and control their cholesterol level, blood pressure and sugar level. A good diet and regular exercise helps to reduce chances of getting this illness.

3) I would like a kidney transplant because in a long term its cheaper than the dialysis since you have to pay every time you get one. Also the transplants offers you much more freedom and life is less disrupted (even though you have to take some pills), unlike dialysis which has to be done at least 3 times a week for 6 to 8 hours for the blood to get filtered. Its also very difficult because there are not enough machines and trained people to get the dialysis.

Dominique Perramont Smile
Back to top Go down
Juan Cristobal Barriga

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 10:26 pm

1)People who are more likely to suffer from kidney disease are the ones that have high blood pressure and/or diabetes. Also if someone has in their family history someone with the problems mention above is also in risk to have kidney disease.

2)There are different ways of preventing kidney disease, one way is to regularly check on your blood pressure. Another wayis to make enough excersise to be in healthy conditions, followed by drinking enough quantities of water in order to keep your body in good conditions. A very suitable thing that can help to prevent kidney disease is to eat a balanced diet.

3)If I suffered from kidney disease I would prefer to have a kidney transplant than having a kidney dialysis. This is because my every day life would not be that much affected, also because in terms of future costs having a kidney transplant would be a lot cheaper.
Back to top Go down
tomas.silva

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 10:41 pm

1) The people that suffer from high blood pressure and diabetes are most common to have a kidney disease. High glucose level on your body also may cause a kidney disease.

2) Checking regularly on your doctor, eating a healthy and balanced diet may also help lowering possibilities of having some kidney problems. Exercise can be very effective for lowering a kidney failure or disease meanwhile you drink enough water and have enough nutrients on your body.

3) If I was suffering from a kidney disease and if I need a treatment, I would select the kidney transplant. I would select kidney transplant because the dialysis can be very expensive. But, there are also cons of a kidney transplant. You would need a compatible kidney with the same type of blood and special size for your body. And it could take a long time for getting a compatible kidney.
Back to top Go down
Daniela Fischer

PostSubject: kidney disease and solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 11:15 pm

1. People that have high pressure and/or diabetes are most likely to have kidney disease. also any accident or infection can damage sevearly the kidney

2. you can prevent kidney disease if you excersise regularly and have a healthy diet. Also is very important to check regularly with your doctor so if you have it, it can be detected and treated quickly since if it's advance, it can cause death.

3. If i had kidney disease, i would prefer to have a dialysis since the kidney transplant can be very dangerous. your body would reject the donor's kidney tissues until it distroy's it, unless you take drugs to prevent this. so it's much safer or less painful to use a dialysis.
Back to top Go down
pascale christiansen

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 9:05 pm

1) People most likely than others to develop kidney disease are:

- People who have diabetes.
- People who have high blood pressure (hypertension).
- People who have a family history of kidney disease.
- Old people (seniors).
- People who belong to a population group that has a high rate of diabetes or high blood pressure such as African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Pacific Islanders and American Indians.

2) We can prevent kidney disease by first increasing the awareness of the existance of it. Being aware of your blood pressure is very important and keeping in good glucose control is the best way to lower your risk of kidney disease.

You can check what your blood glucose levels are by taking urine and blood tests. Follow-up with your doctor or endocrinologist (a doctor specializing in diabetes) to make sure that you have your urine tested at least once a year to find any early changes in kidney function.

Other tests should include your total blood count as well as blood cholesterol type and level. Make sure you have your blood pressure checked often.

Follow your diet for weight and blood glucose control, and get plenty of regular exercise.

Finally avoid alcohol and cigarettes.

3) I would prefer to have a kidney transplant. First because the amount of time I would have to dedicate to the process of dialysis (three sessions of 6 to 8 hours per week) would not allow me to perform a normal life schedule. It would disrupt my studying and (in the long term) working avaibility and it would restrain me from practicing sports and maintaining a care free diet. Also a full tranquility would never be reached because I would always have to be in competition with other diseased people for machine priority, etc. So if I choose dialysis my health and treatment would never be really secured/covered.

On the other hand, a kidney transplant (if successful) would allow me to and avoid constant regulations and recover to live a normal life. This makes it cheaper in the long term and less complicated.
Back to top Go down
Manuela Lasserre

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 6:17 pm

1) People who are most likely to have kidney disease are those who have an elevated blood pressure, who have high levels of sugar in the blood, the people who have diabetes and also those who have a family history in having problems with their kidneys.

2) Kidney disease can be prevented by having a good diet and exercising regularly so the blood pressure doesn’t get too high. Also to go to the doctor and measure what’s in your blood and its pressure and also by having an awareness of kidney disease and its causes and consequences.

3) I would prefer the kidney transplant; even though it might be dangerous and have problems with tissue rejection it would allow me to have a normal life with no disruptions. With the kidney dialysis, my life would be constantly depending on a machine which is the hospitals and have to be used at least 3 times a week. Also the transplant would have to be done once and pay only once, with the dialysis I would have to pay constantly and do it constantly.

Manuela Lasserre Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sebastian.aguayo

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 10:32 pm

1) What type of people are most likely to suffer from kidney disease?
People which have sugar diabetes, and also hypertension (high blood pressure). The combination of this two, makes even more likely to have kidney disease. People who have parents, grandparents who have suffered of kidney disease are more likely suffer it , because it is an inherited disease.

2) How can kidney disease best be prevented?
Being aware of it (specially in high risk populations). This means checking our blood pressure frequently, having an actual blood test , urine test in order to determine if you have some type of abnormality. Having a good diet and doing exercise lowers our blood pressure, lowers our blood sugar, and cholesterol, which highly contributes lowering our risks of kidney disease.

3) If you were suffering from Kidney disease, which form of treatment would you prefer to have; Kidney Dialysis or a Kidney transplant? Explain clearly why.
Definitely a kidney transplant, I will take the risk to have an operation, but in the end I will have a long term solution, which will function as part of my body. I think having dialysis will function , but only for a period of time, not for ever, and also I will never function as efficiently as a human kidney.

SEBASTIAN AGUAYO
Back to top Go down
SRojas

PostSubject: Basics of Kidney Disease   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 1:04 pm

1.- The people that are most likely to be diagnosed with kidney disease are people with high blood pressure, severe diabetes, and the both combined make it a bigger chance of you having kidney disease. Also, you can inherit kidney disease if u have people in your family that have been diagnosed with it Smile
2.- Kidney disease can best be prevented in many ways, you have to be aware of it first of all. If you are, you can take a blood test and urine test to see if u have kidney disease. Other ways you can prevent it is by measuring your blood pressure often, reducing your cholesterol by having a good diet, to control your diabetes if you have it, and exercising to maintain healthy.
3.- If I was diagnosed with kidney disease, I would rather have a kidney transplant than a kidney dialysis because if I have a kidney transplant it is only one time that I have to have surgery and then go to the doctor for the follow-ups of the surgery. On the other hand, kidney dialysis you have to go to the doctor at least 3 times a week and have your blood cleaned for 6-8 hours and this does interfere with you life.

Sofia Rojas Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joako Ruiseñor

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 3:53 pm

1.- People that are most likely to suffer this disease are the ones with high blood pressure (hypertension) or diabetes (sugar diabetes).An accident, an infection, a serious wound in the kidneyor medicines toxic to this organ can also cause this disease. Sometimes kidney disease can be inherited by parents or granparents.

2.- Kidney disease can be prevented by being aware about this disease exist by controlling your blood pressure, making yourselves blood tests and urine tests frequently. Also doing diet and exersise contantly because this will help you to lower (controll) blood sugars and cholesterol.

3.- I would prefer definitely kidney transplant because a machine controlling my body will prevent me from doing a great quantiy of activities I do every day such as sports. A new kidney for me would be a lot better because it provides me more freedom and will act as any other organs in my body and wouldnt notice the kidney isnt mine. In the long term a transplant also is much cheaper than a machine and after recovering from the operation your life would come to its normal state. elephant elephant elephant
Back to top Go down
sharon210

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 5:42 pm

1.People that suffer from diabetes (high level of glucose in the blood), hypertension (high blood pressure), or both of them at the same time are the most likely to suffer kidney disease (family history of the mentioned diseases increases the odds too). Being part of a high risk population also increases the odds.

2.By the awareness of it. Constantly knowing what your blood pressure is, taking urine and blood exams periodically and controlling your sugar levels are a good way of preventing it. Diet and exercise control your pressure, sugar and cholesterol levels; this way you are less likely to have kidney disease.

3.Kidney transplant, although there is a chance of tissue rejection, has a much more easy and positive side. In a long term view, it’s cheaper and doesn’t much affect the patient’s lifestyle. Dialysis affects your way of living and keeps you constantly stuck to a machine.

Sharon Slater 1D Smile
Back to top Go down
Francisca Fuchs

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 8:29 pm

1. People who have hypertension (high blood pressure) and/or diabetes are most likely of suffering any kidney disease. Also it must be noted that kidney diseases are hereditary.

2. We can prevent kidney disease by increasing our awareness of the existence of it, specially in high risk populations. Being aware of our blood pressure and actual urine test, would help us determine if we may have any problems with our kidneys. Also by controlling our diet and exercise because it help us lower our blood pressure, sugar blood level and cholesterol level.

3. I would prefer a kidney transplant although initially its more expensive than dialysis and has a longer recover, but eventually I could lead a fairly normal life and wouldn't have to rely on a machine to filter wastes from my body.

Francisca Fuchs 1D Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Deborah Trumper.

PostSubject: Kidney Diseases   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 11:52 am

1.) People who suffer long term chronic diseases such as high blood pressure (hipertension) and diabetes, or people who have a family history of any/both diseases are more likely to be subjects of a kidney disease.
2.) Kidney disease can be prevented by increasing awareness among people to control, for example, their blood pressure and cholesterol, and by exercising regularly and keeping a healthy diet.
3.) If I suffered from a kidney disease, I would choose to have a kidney transplant due to the fact that even though it is riskier than dialysis, you may live a longer life without many regulations and it offers more freedom.

Deborah Trumper 1E
Back to top Go down
Francisco Rencoret

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 9:15 pm

1) People who have high blood pressure or diabetes have a greater chance of suffering of kidney disease. Also this disease may be originated by an accident or any type of infection.

2) This kidney disease can be prevented by eating a balanced meal, drinking appropriate quantities of water and exercising regularly so that you maintain your body healthy. An other good way of preventing this disease, is to go an check your blood pressure to a doctor regularly.

3) If i had kidney disease, I would choose to have the Dialysis treatment because it is much safer than the transplant, because if you don't drink the appropriate medicine, your body could kill the donor's kidney and that could bring very serious trouble. Also, this treatment is much more, in a way, personal because you remain with your same kidney; you just clean the blood a few times a week and no drugs are need to be drunk.
Back to top Go down
sebastian muñoz

PostSubject: Kidney disease..   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 11:24 pm

Kidney disease means any abnormality, when the functions of the kidneys are not working properly, for example, problems with filtering or any blockage that may bring several problems in the future..

1) The main causes of kidney disease are sugar diabetes, high blood pressure(hypertension), therefore anyone 18 years and older with high blood pressure, diabetes(high level of glucose in blood) or a family history of kidney disease, are most likely to suffer from kidney disease.

2)There are several ways of preventing from kidney disease. It is very important to have normal blood pressure if you want to prevent kidney disease. Having regular blood pressure will also help prevent other diseases and conditions. You may also like to investigate about your family history to know if theres need of taking special medicine . Urine is used to detect the kidney disease, so it is very important to stay alert for changes in your urine and to have a yearly urine blood test.

3) If i were suffering from Kidney disease, i would definitely prefer to have a kidney transplant rather than long-term dialysis because dialysis in general involves being constantly connected to a dialysis machine, where themy blood is extracted from their body, passed through the machine, cleaned and returned, seems to be quiet painful and it wont let me realize the sports i like. Eventhough kidney transplant may involve tissue rejection, it would allow me to be more free and eventually it is cheaper.

SEBASTIÁN MUÑOZ 1°F

REFERENCES:
http://www.kidney.org/news/keep/index.cfm
http://www.ehow.com/how_2051927_prevent-kidney-failure.html

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
carlosklein

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 8:29 pm

1. People who are diabetics or have a family history of renal disease, also, high blood pressure can affect negatively the kidneys.

2.A balanced diet, including a lot of water plus a lifestyle filled with sport can help prevent kidney disease, also checking yourself regularly by your doctor can help control the situation.

3.I personnaly would prefer a kidney transplant, as dyalisis takes a long time, even though the drugs used in order to restrain the inmune system (post transplant) are a negative side, on the long run a kidney transplant would be a lot cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Nicolas Delorenzo

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 6:49 pm

1) The people that are more likely to have a kidney disease are people that eat a lot of sugar, fats and salt on their food because these three thing leads to have hypertension this means you have a high blood pressure, high levels of cholesterol and diabetes that is a large amount of sugar on the blood. This three main thing are the ones that are most common top provoke kidney disease.

2) You can prevent the kidney disease by controlling the effects that cause it for example eat healthy so you have a good level of sugar or you can do exercise to get a healthy heart rate. Also we can prevent by having awareness of the disease so then you can have the correct exams and you are always aware of it.

3) Depending on the situation, I would prefer dialysis when the kidney is not too damaged because is easier and cheaper but if the kidney has something more serious I would prefer a transplant because is safer and it gives you a complete healthy kidney.
Back to top Go down
ileana correa

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 10:45 pm

1) The people with hisgh blood pressure or severe diabetes, are the most likely to have kidney diesease. Also, you can inherit kidney disease if someone in your family have been diagnosed with it.

2) To prevent kidney disease, first you have to be aware of it. You can take a blood test or urine test to see if you have it. You can prevent it by measuring yuor blood pressure often, reducing you8r cholesterol by having a good and balanced diet, control your diabetes (if you have it), and exercising to mainten healthy.

3) If it was my case and I was diagnosed with kidney disease, I would prefer to have a kidney dyalisis because its cheper but if its to dangerous for me I would take the surgery so I don't put my life in danger.
Back to top Go down
matiasnoguera

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 1:37 pm

1) People who are most likely to have kidney disease are the ones whos have high blood pressure or diabetes. Also people with family history of kidney disease.

2) To prevent kidney disease we should be aware that we may have a kidney disease, so we should check ourself regulary. Also we could prevents kidney disease by doing lots of sports and having a good diet.

3) If I would have a kidney disease I would prefer a kidney transplant because making dialysis interrupts our daily routine. Also having a kidney transplant does not have lots of regulation (talking about the diet) and with a kidney transplant you have a higher expectation of life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kidney Disease and the Solutions   Kidney Disease and the Solutions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kidney Disease and the Solutions
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next