The Grange Biology Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Grange Biology Forum

An open forum for members of the Grange Biology community to exchange ideas and information

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anti-Smoking Advertising

Go down 
+13
cata t
herrards
merms
isagonzalezc
antonia
Felipe Elgueta
emilia mardones
Constanza Zacharias
cataovalle
Chris RK
sebastian herrera b.
begoña donoso
Admin
17 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Anti-Smoking Advertising Empty
PostSubject: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 4:13 pm

The Australian goverment has a long history of producing controversial and shocking TV advertisments to help combat social problems such as drink driving, alcohol abuse, domestic violence etc.

Watch the video below of a series of anti-smoking advertisments and in at least 150 words answer the following questions.

1) Do you think that this type of advertising is effective? Why?

2) If you were designing an anti smoking TV advertisment what would you do?

You may need to do further research on the internet to answer these questions. If you do please include references.

DUE DATE: You must answer these questions by the start of your second class during Week 22 (16/8/10)
[i]

Back to top Go down
https://grangebiology.forumotion.com
begoña donoso

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 10:52 pm

1. once watching the video, it was shoking, the idea of showing real damage at the different organd of our body, watching it literaly what happens when you smoke it make me be aware of the big problems that may cause a such little thing that may contain so many toxic substances creating the death of you own body. It was a very good advertisment it was usefull to realize how true it is the damaging and it is a very effective advetisement, at least my opinion.

2. thinking for a good idea of doing an effective advertisement may be doing a summary of certain peoples life beggining on the age that they started smoking and ending when they are old and showing the bad effect that have cause the smoking. An effective idea was watching testimonies of people that have mouth cancer in the present, it was also very shoking so maybe creating a similar idea by doing different type of cancers or the same people that are very bad because of smoking effect give a short advertisement for those that cannot stop smoking, to create consciousness.
Back to top Go down
sebastian herrera b.

PostSubject: Anti-Smoking   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 8:10 pm

1. I believe this type of adevetising is effective because it is different from others, therefore it produces interest in the people that watch it, so eventually they concentrate more on this type of advertising. Secondly it is also effective, because it does not only advertise you to not smoke, but it also educates you. It shows you the details of the effects of smoking. This makes it be more realistic, and more believeable. Its not the typical ordinary repeated "Do not smoke. It kills you." It is deeper. The facts, like the ages of the people they talk about, also make it more realistic and believable.

2. If I were desiging an anti-smoking TV advertisement, I would probably do somehting very similar to the video. I would make it tragic, serious, and realistic. I would put clips of people affected by smoking, to say a few things that have happened to them because of smoking ( their testimony). I would also put videos of real operations, needed because of smoking. I would also put the economic effects on smoking. For example: If you were a person that bought "x" amount of cigarrete packs each month, over 6 months or a year you would save "y" amount of money, which equals food for a month for different kids needed of social help or 2 houses for 2 homeless families, or somehting else, etc. And then you can say, as well as throwing your body away, your also throwing your money. I would do this because economic factors influence many people.
Back to top Go down
Chris RK

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 9:40 pm

1) I do think this advertisement is effective, as it allows us to relate the people we see smoking on the add to people we may know in our own lives (such as mothers, family members, business workers, etc.), which makes the add realistic and believable, and makes us realize just how present it is in our own life. They also use the "shock factor", using shocking imagery of our own organs and how deeply they are damaged by smoking, and how they may damage our body in more than one way, affecting parts of us that are vital to live a healthy and enjoyable life.

2) When designing an anti smoking advertisement, I'd use similar characteristics to the advertisement shown in the video. I'd put more emphasis on just how much it may affect our daily lives. Showing before and after videos or pictures to show just how much it can change a persons life, preferably using real stories and pictures of people that have been affected by smoking. I'd also show how it may affect people around us who do not smoke, how people exposed to the smoking may inhale that smoke and also be affected by it. I'd also use a lot of shocking graphic imagery, as it's an easy way to transmit a message and it'd stay in people's head, making them think about the topic more and hopefully helping it be shared and spoken between people to make the topic about the effects of smoking more open, thus informing others of just how bad it is.
Back to top Go down
cataovalle

PostSubject: cata ovalle   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 7:28 pm

1) I think this advertisement is very effective because: is not a common advertisement so it encourages people to finish seeing it, shows the effects of the cigarette in different parts of the body, showing shocking images with the comparison of a non smoker organ towards a smoker organ, the fact that it repeatedly says "EVERY cigarette is doing you damage" is a very strong idea, which makes you have a deeper reflexion about smoking. What is very positive about this video is that shows different people with different ages in different sitatuions, this gives a more realistic and trustfull idea of the damages of cigarrettes towards your organism.

2) if i was to be designing a non smoking advertisemet I would incorporate important statistics indicating the ammount of deaths and the variety of cancers that can be as concecuence of smoking. Other important factors that i would include would be testimonies of people wich suffer of cancer because of smoking, show shocking images of organs with the comparison of smoker and non smoker organs, show adolecents smoking and the effects that smoking have on their every day life, show sports people that smoke and demonstrate the effects of smoking towards their aerobic respiration, demonstrate how adictive smoking can become, and finally make statistics about the money that can be saved by not smoking.

Back to top Go down
Constanza Zacharias

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 7:29 pm

1) I think this advertising is effective because it actually shows physical proof of what cigarrets do to our body. Also it makes an emphasis in the frase " every cigarrete is doing you damage" by repeting it constantly which by repetition stays in our head. I believe is a very effective video also because it is very complete it shows what happends to our body when we smoke at the time and also in long periods of time, also compares healthy body tissues with damage tissues, showing shocking images which are actually real.

2) If i was designing an anti smoking adversitment i would use 3 important factors. First shocking imagery of real cases of smoking diseases. Also statistics that shows a positive correlation between smoking and diseases or death. Third to show the cuality of life of a smoking person and compare it to someone who doesnt smoke. I would arrange the advertisment this way : First showing the life of a person who has smoke the last 20 years and how there tissues look like at the moment with strong realistic images and also the things they had to put up with because of smoking, then compare his life to a non smoking person and to finish the advertisment i would put the stadistics.
Back to top Go down
emilia mardones

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 8:26 pm

Yes I think this type of advertising is very effective because as it is a video we can see clearly the effects and consequences that smoking can cause. I was very shocked with the images shown in the video because I didnt knew all that consequences that people can suffer after smoking. It is very effective in the way that expresses in few words and images that smoking is very bad and it kills you, giving all the information that you need to take the decision of stop smoking. It shows the two situations of the smoker and the non-smoker so you can compare and see the real difference of how your body is affected in a notorious way. It is also very convincing, the phrase "every cigarette is doing you damage" it makes it easy to get the message.

If I had to do an anti smoking tv advertisement I would generate a video showing happy moments in life, a very good life and healthy life of a person. When he is a child, doing sports, eating healthy, playing with friends, studying, at school and then i would show an adult in bed in a clinic with a hole in the neck and yellow teeths with also missing ones and connected with oxygen. Saying at the end that all that good moments will be over if you keep smoking.
Back to top Go down
Felipe Elgueta

PostSubject: Anti-smoking advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 9:32 pm

1) I think that this advertising is very effective because it shows the act of smoking as a very dangerous act. Firstly all the tar that can be accumulated in the lungs in only 1 year is a lot, and when people see this they know that there are some people who smoke for more than a year, so the tar accumulated is much bigger. And in general I think that when they show the actual plaque accumulated in the aorta, the actual blood stroke and how blood vessels in the eye break it makes a very big effect, because it is more visual and people are likely to fear smoking, because they don’t want that to happen to them. Also when stokes and plaques are shown, a comment that is very shocking is that they say that these can build up in very young people, like 32 years old. So people know that they are not protected from the effects even if they are young.

2) I think I would include many of the things shown here such as showing when a brain or a lung is opened. Also I would include information related to statistics, in order for people to know that smoking and lung cancer are much related. Another idea is to show an interview or narrate an actual story of an individual who suffers from a smoking related disease, and narrate it in a very tragic way, so people can be persuaded to stop smoking because they don't want those thing to happen to them.
Back to top Go down
antonia

PostSubject: Antonia   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 11:33 am

1)Yes, I believe this type of advertising is very effective. The way they show each of the organs and how they are affected by toxins in cigarettes give a shocking image to the expectators. When they showed how the organs where damaged by each component you realize the effect of what smoking does to you, this is not one of the common advertisements about tobacco. The image of the fat on the aorta and the eyes arteries exploting shocked me a lot; this advertisement gives a more graphical experience of what this does to you.

2)I would do something similar to this because I think this type of advertisement would reach a higher quantity of people. Normally the cigarettes boxes contain an image which is supposed to encourage people to stop smoking, I think it might work, but an advertisement against tobacco should include more graphical images which shock the people and indeed make them stop smoking. I would make something in which you could include the illnesses which toxins in tobacco carry; lung cancer... If they can make a video which show the experiences of this suffering people maybe the smokers would understand where they are going to end

Last edited by antonia on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
isagonzalezc

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 8:24 pm

1-Yes, I think this advertising is effective since it is really shocking, and it demonstrates the effects of smoking as they really are. Normally when people start smoking they never about the effects it has, and many think they know what these effects are; they hear about lung cancer and other diseases but they normally do not consider them important since they do not know exactly what the consequences might be, or they try avoiding thinking in them. This video visualise the effects, and clearly shows the consequences of smoking. The amount of tar in a lung after one year, and the smoking wastes in the artery are both very disgusting images that may shock you in a way that may convince you to stop smoking. With this video people became aware of the inevitable consequences of smoking, and so people may be left with a “trauma” and so stop smoking.

2- I would put real, shocking, haunting images, sort of the ones seen in the video, that show the negative effects and dangers that are involved in smoking. I think people who smoke normally “know” that cigarettes produce cancer, and many other diseases, but they not value the extent to which they can affect you, or simply think they will never be affected by it. People feel as if they were immune to these effects, and so tend to avoid thinking in them, or even don’t bother about them. For this reason is that in TV, something people usually watch, commercials should make the face up the problems smoking bring, and so convince people to leave them. They should be aware of all of the effects of smoking, from simple to huge, lethal effects, so they can “choose” reasons that scare them and so leave them.
It should also provide effects that, not being lethal, will convince them since they would change their lives, as for example infertility in woman, irreversible blindness, etc.
It could also include people giving testimony of their expierence with smoking, as loosing a lung, being infertil, telling their family expierence after having cancer, etc.
Back to top Go down
merms

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 8:46 pm

1-I think the advertising is very effective in nature, as it scares people with very graphical content, such as exposed body parts that show the harmful effects of smoking and related diseases. It also shows very effectively how people from every corner and situation do this on a daily basis, harming their own lives and the lives of people around them. The voice which narrates what's going on is also very dramatic
and the emphasis it makes in "every cigarette" is quite shocking. It is a good commercial as it not only shows smoking as a "bad" thing, but rather as a terrible problem which is probably underestimated by most of people, which do not know the real effects of this habit forming product.

2- If I were making a video where the effects of smoking are, probably the thing that I would keep is the dramatic nature of the video, as it what makes it effective to catch people's attention. The thing that I would change would be using real life cases, showing people of true stories and dramas of real life to make other people aware of the real disaster that their lifes can turn into. I would also show this people's cases combined with the graphic examples (as the ones used in the video) to cause a deeper impact. Also, if the video causes controverse it would be better for media covering it, and therefore grabbing more people's attention on it, and so, on the topic of how bad smoking tobacco can be.
Back to top Go down
herrards

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:31 am

1. Indeed, because it explains in a very simple and graphic way what happens when you smoke a cigarette. What is most effective is the graphic parts where they show real, physical damage caused by these chemicals in our organs, other than the obvious lung damages they also demonstrate what could happen in the brain and in the eyes. After people see this kind of advertisement they will definitely think about smoking as it is so harmful for their bodies, or else they'll die.

2. If I were designing an anti smoking advertisement I would show very crude imagery of what happens to smokers, i would show the worst case scenario of what could happen if you smoke. Also, the issue of passive smoking should be struck in the consciousness of smokers as they don't really care about the damage they could be causing to people around them, specially old people and babies.
Back to top Go down
cata t

PostSubject: cata torres   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:48 am

1)I found this advertising very effectively, the basic fact of using image to create imapct in the audience, more tan only words, “an image could mean hundred of words” and can be twice as shoking and expressive as a couple of words. Being this images of common interest which involucrate many people makes us focus and wonder about it, this encourage as to see it and the phrase repeated emphazises the importance of the danger of only one minuscule cigarette and the damage its causes. The repetition makes us conscious about it, summed with a whole path through the damage caused since one inhale of cigarette till releasing this toxic smoke. The “path of death” may it be concluded, as it kills cells, tissues and eventually, organs.
One as human being try to familiarize what we common do with its benefits and are blind to its consecuences, in this case, the damage is not perceived in common smokers, this helps them realize something maybe they haven’t question themselves and maybe make them ask themselves what is it most worth it their lives? Or having a calm, relaxed enjoyable time? The rethorical question which creates this advertising makes it worth its importance and effectiveness. Watching your own organs conquered by toxins and damaged because of your own fault, makes oneself feel guilty and conscious about it. The tone of voice and sounds acompany he melancholic point of view and the notorious dangers. In some cases makes one kind of hate the false appearance this object creates which makes people depend innocently on it not knowing the real damages produce, also showing real proves would make the evidence much more persuading.
2)The most persuading fact of advertising in this case which I would start one of this advertisings would be a victims testimony of the tragic damage and consequences he had suffer because of this cigarette theme. Starting like “usually I first smoke for fun and never thought in its consequences…” this short phrase quickly would make many people feel familiarized with its own experience but feel they still have hope to change things. So now I would add some real impact images accompanied by sounds in melancholic tone which would shows the irreversibility and desperation of loosing important organs because of tiny little stupid action as smoking. Another way may be placing the audience in a ignorant way as placing the one who talks as a guider and teacher in that aspect. Its very important to give information about the theme so people could objectively decide about their own actions. Compassion is a very persuadive way of advertising, the better way is to show suffering or esthetic ugliness to make people distance from the fact of smoking. They would not like to be physically or socially deprive of something so this makes them worry about it and double check the need of smoking. I would put this video in a commercial on tv or in high impact programmes in humanity such as facebook, youtube, hotmail, etc, to create massive impact in society. Also show them on school so fast encourage to stop smoking and strong advice is presented in an early phase of a smoker.
Back to top Go down
emilia-macchi

PostSubject: smoking advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 9:46 am

1. Even though the advertising is quite redundant, the slogan "Every cigarette cause you damage" it's very effective and unique, because it displays in a very graphic way what could happen with only one cigarette. This could have a more shocking effect than a advertising that shows the long term consequences of smoking, because you can see the immediate consequence of tobacco.
I think the most effective part of the advertising is the images of doctors cutting through organs and seeing what's inside. This is realistic and cause repulsion to the people that are watching it, and relate that repulsion to the simple act of smoking. It also creates a contrast between the everyday image of someone smoking, and make smokers see how you could get from smoking ONE cigarette, to the repulsion they have seen in the doctors part.

2. A very impressive advertising could be one where there is a comparison between a smoker lung and a non smoker lung. If the images are realistic enough, and the message is well delivered, smokers could actually see how their lungs are, and how they could have been if they have never smoked. This doesn't only creates a sense in repulsion, like the video I've just seen, but also stimulates a sense of guilt and if the smoker who watches it is clever enough, he will stop smoking straight away for their lungs not getting any worse than the image they have just seen.
This is, in my opinion, the most effective way of persuading people against tobacco. I insist in the use of good quality, and delicately picked images, because it is the most shocking way of showing to people what they don't see while they smoke.
Back to top Go down
Sedsage

PostSubject: Clemente Hernandez   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 10:11 am

1) Indeed I find the advertisement effective because it shows in a simple way the negative effects of inhaling cigarette smoke. The graphics show clearly the damage made to your lungs and even brain. The path showed in the video of each part of the respiratory system is brutal and it is easy to understand, making it more effective for all age groups, young smokers as well as experienced ones that may have not known the damaging effects of the cigarettes.

2) If I was to design an ad of anti smoking, I would show real life shocking images of the damaged organs and victims that terminated very affected by the smoking. They say an image can say a thousand words, and in this case I think its the most effective way. Also testimonies of people who have suffered from the consequences, and to spread their own message in the best way possible to make people realize. And lastly, I would also send a message of the damage caused to other people around when you smoke, because many people forget about the collateral damages that smoking implies.
Back to top Go down
SARA SEARLE

PostSubject: Every cigarrete is doing you damage   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 4:18 pm

I think its a very effective advertising because of two key elements which are used. First the repetition of the phrase "every cigarrete is doing you damage" I think is very effective as it unconciently gets into your head and you convince yourself that it, indeed, makes you damage. The pther very effective element used is the images, very strong and shocking showing parts of our body dying only by one cigarrete. This is useful for these comercials because nobody wants those images in their bodies, making a straight away rejection to cigarretes.

I think I would also try to use a lot of imagery, because it is easy and fast for the viewer to understand the damages of smoking. Another thing that I also may include in my comercial would be personal experiences of people who had have problems with cigars during their life, and also how damageful is not only for you (as there are viewers who don't care of their health), but how it can damage your loved ones, specially mother and son situation and passive smokers. I think that is a very shocking and sad reality useful for a TV commercial.
Back to top Go down
yoxi5236

PostSubject: anti-smoking is important   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 5:21 am

after watching this video, i should say thats too horrible..
everyday, each cigarette makes smokers walk to his or her coffin closer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anti-Smoking Advertising
Page 1 of 1