The Grange Biology Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Grange Biology Forum

An open forum for members of the Grange Biology community to exchange ideas and information

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anti-Smoking Advertising

Go down 
+12
diego de camino
gabi quevedo
ignacia ward
katie.saffery
macarena dominguez
josepulveda
Elisa Garcìa
javi saavedra
benjamin lolic
Elisa Jordan
Sebastián Kalm
Admin
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Anti-Smoking Advertising Empty
PostSubject: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 4:14 pm

The Australian goverment has a long history of producing controversial and shocking TV advertisments to help combat social problems such as drink driving, alcohol abuse, domestic violence etc.

Watch the video below of a series of anti-smoking advertisments and in at least 150 words answer the following questions.

1) Do you think that this type of advertising is effective? Why?

2) If you were designing an anti smoking TV advertisment what would you do?

You may need to do further research on the internet to answer these questions. If you do please include references.

DUE DATE: You must answer these questions by the start of your second class during Week 22 (16/8/10)
[i]

Back to top Go down
https://grangebiology.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 1:05 pm

i think this advertising is effective blah blah blñaf
Back to top Go down
https://grangebiology.forumotion.com
Sebastián Kalm

Sebastián Kalm

PostSubject: Forun Task   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 10:27 pm

1) Personaly, I think this advetisement does make effect in me, and in everyone one who has some level of consideration for their bodies, because what this propaganda claims, are only some of the effects that cigars may have on our bodies, it shows the fatal effects of it. How ever, the way it shows each effect is extremely dramatic and crude, of course this is done on porpuse to creat a more shocking visual image of it, and to let in our minds to consider it twice before smoking a cigar.

2) If I was to do an advertisement (propaganda) which has to go against the comsuption of tabacco, I would probably do something similar to the one shown in this video, for the simple reason that it has been studied that the visual impression is the strongest one to be retained by our brains, therefor is the most vivid at any time, more than the verbal or the hearing impressions.

Last edited by Sebastián Kalm on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Elisa Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 9:42 am

1) I think this type of advertising is effective because it uses very powerful images that draw your attention instantly, and keep you focused throughout the length of the video. It is effective because it is very convincing, and persuades people to stop smoking because it clearly explains the negative effects that each cigarrette has on your body. The repetition of "every cigarrete does you damage", is effective because it stays with you after watching the video, and makes people think twice before every cigarrette.

2)If I was designing an anti smoking TV advertisment, I would do something very similar, because I found it effective. However, I would be a bit less graphic, in order for people not to change the channel because the advertisment grosses them out so much, they cannot watch all of it.
Back to top Go down
benjamin lolic

benjamin lolic

PostSubject: anti-smoking advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 9:43 am

1) I think that this advertisement is very effective, because it shows the crude reality that smokers have to live with, and it works as a wake up call for future smokers and chronic smokers. This advertisement hits you because it isn't like most of the other smoking advertisements, it shows crudely how smoking affects your body, without any filters on what they say.

2) I would do something similar, something really shocking so that people realize that smoking is causing them damage and that if they don't stop they could die at a very young age. I think this is the only way to show it because society nowadays is so accustomed to violence, that if we don't show the causes in a brutal way, no one will realize it until its too late.
Back to top Go down
javi saavedra

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 9:50 am

1.- i think that this advertisement is effective because the images used are very shocking. it is effective because the information revealed is truth and are real cases, and are things that can easily happen to a person who smokes. also the repetition of "every cigarette is making you damage" is directed straightly to you so it makes you part of the advertisement and brings to reality the problems you may have by smoking. anyway, it may not be too effective because as the images are too shocking, people may think that those brains, aortas and lungs are those from people who smoke in excess and they may think that none of those things can happen to them because images can be exagerated. however, the video is shocking and not nice.

2.- i would include shocking images and not so shocking ones to bring to reality the damages of cigarette. i would incude a lot of facts and statistics to let people know how can cigarette damage them if they smoke in small quantities or if they smoke in excess, so that they do not think that those things only happen to people who smoke a lot. i would also include the damages in teeth and the wrinkles that may appear round your mouth and those damages that affect the way you look and not only the things that occure inside your body because many people are more concerned in their beauty than their inside as they can actualy see the damage in their bodies.
Back to top Go down
Elisa Garcìa

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 9:51 am

1) I think that this type of advertising is very effective to the people that smokes. It is very real, therefore people who sees it realizes what is really happening in their bodies and how bad is the effect of cigars. Also I think is very exaggerated. On one hand it can be good to be exaggerated to produce a shock in people, but on the other hand, people can find it too exaggerated, therefore can think this is silly and laugh at it rather than think of it as a serious issue.

2) If I had to do an advertisment I would do it very similar as the one of the video in the fact of the shocking images, but I would use more people of different ages to make it more real. If a teenager that smokes sees the video has to feel identified, and watching only grown up persons they will think that things happen just when you are older.
jocolor
Back to top Go down
josepulveda

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 9:52 am

1) I think this advertising is VERY effective, because it is very shocking. The graphicness of the advertisement makes you really picture what would happen in your lungs if you smoked, and how much cigarettes affect your body, and not only your lungs, but also your eyes, brain, and blood vessels... its scary- were I a smoker I would definitely consider quitting smoking after watching this.

2) If I had to make an anti-smoking advertising i would something along the lines of this one, since, in my opinion, its the most effective way to make people quit smoking.
Back to top Go down
macarena dominguez

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 9:59 am

1) I think this cigaret advisment is really effective for those people who consume cigarets, because you can be conscious about what you are doing to you body, and what is happening o it. All the diseases and damage done to your organs is showed, so then you can realise and take conscious of the effects and reactions in you body. Then you can realize all the bad effects that nicotine and tar have in your lungs and brain. Respiratory problems such as emphithema are also present, cigarete elements make loose the capillaries elasticity, don't letting gas exchange be completely successful.

2) If i was doing a TV smoking advertising, i would do something similar to the video, because is really effective in terms that people remember and gets kind of shocked with this images. About some images i would make it in a cartoon way, because some images are too strong and people wouldn't like to see them.

pig
Back to top Go down
katie.saffery

PostSubject: smocking homework   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 10:08 am

1) I think that this advertising is very effective, because it has strong and shocking images that impresses the people who watches it. the pictures and the repetition of the phrase "every cigarette is doing you damage" makes you really understand and realize the damage that you are doing to yourself every time you smoke. I also think that the video is very effective because it straightly shows that cigarettes are not causing any good in your system and also shows truly information and real images of what has already happen with people who smoked, and suffered its consecuenses

2) If I had to do an advertising, I would also do a video with strong images and true stories of peoples who suffered from cigarette's damages. I think it it the best way of impressing and shocking people with the truth, and to stopping them from smocking.
Back to top Go down
ignacia ward

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 10:13 am

1) yes i do think that this advertising is effective because makes you think about the damages cigarettes and smoking produces not in only your lungs but in all your body systems and because of the use of this very strong images that make the viewer reflect about the damage they are doing to themselves and to the people that surround them. i think that smokers that watch this video will consider it twice before doing it again because that is how they are going o end.

2) as well as i saw in this video i think that the use of very strong and shocking images are what people need to stat thinking about they future, is quite good that they showed not only one type of smoker but as well, for example, a mother that smoked, because that is not only affecting her but also the rest of her family. so if i had to do an anti-smoking advertising i think that i would do it similar to this one, showing more people (maybe from different ages) in different situation and how can the have different symptoms or diseases caused by this addiction.

geek
Back to top Go down
gabi quevedo

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 10:13 am

1)I think this advertising is way too effective. This is because the images are realy strong. They show the facts and the ages which impact more the viewer because this kind of thing are supposed to happen to old people who smoke a lot.
Also the images are so grafical that when the information is given and then organs are shown,they will remain for ever in your minds.
the message is so clear that even if you watch it with out sound leaves the same impact.
I suppose that if in chile this type of advertising is shown people would complain a lot, but at a longer period of time they would quit smoking.
2)the first thing i would do in an anti-smoking advertising is to show normal people having fun and smoking. Show different types of common situations in which people smoke and in between people that are offered to smoke and they say no. then show the same people who smoke with diseases at a very young age, show stressed doctors that dont know what to do with the case and the frustration of the person who is sick. Then a flashback towards all the time they lighted a cigarette and he remembers the people that he offered to smoke and then we see that person having a normal and happy life with family. then we come again to the hospital where the person who smoke breathes for the last time and dies. Sad
Back to top Go down
diego de camino

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 10:18 am

1)In my opinion i think this type of advertising is very effective because it shows like explicitely how the components of the cigarrete can cause several problems,creating a strong impact on the person who is watching it. Also the crude way in which it showed how ONE cigarrette contributes to a serious damage on your body creates an impact on the viewer so hard that personally i didnt wanted to continue watching the video.
2)If i would be designing an advertising i would plan it similar to the one that I´ve just seen creating a strong impact on the viewer on very crude way or by the other i would also something more emotional like showing to create a feeling of sorrow on the viewer.
Back to top Go down
Rodrigo Manubens

PostSubject: Anti-smoking   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 10:32 am

1) Personally, I think the scare tactic of displaying visually shocking images is effective, for the simple reason that cigarettes are highly addictive due to the nicotine present in them and as such only an effective shock may be able to make the smokers reflect on their actions. However, there are people who will only quit smoking until they find the consequences of smoking are dire or catastrophic, and since the facts provided are somewhat manipulated to shock the viewer people may find the evidence faulty and difficult to believe.

2)If I were to do an anti smoking campaign, I would probably go along the same lines of trying to shock the viewer with images or sounds. Yet I would be careful to try to show the facts about smoking in a both shocking and believable manner, for instance the ad shown had an example of a 32 year old smoker who had his aorta filled with fat but it neglected and failed to inform if he was a morbidly obese man. If I try to convince people, I would do in a shocking yet honest way since this exaggeration may result in skeptics proving the ad to be fake and inappropriate making the campaign hard to believe and therefore uneffective.
Back to top Go down
m.zacharias

PostSubject: anti smoking   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 3:33 pm

1) I think this advertisement is very effective because it shows very clearly all the damages a cigarette can cause to your health. Also I think that the images are very shocking, but they are very important to make people realize the consequence of smoking, even if some people thinks they are too shocking for television.

2) If I had to make an anti smoking advertising I would do something very similar, I would put shocking images because the best way to make people realize something is with the truth or with real facts. Also I would put very clearly all the damages that a cigarette can cause to you.
Back to top Go down
Fernanda Morales

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:52 pm

1) I believe this type of advertising is effective because shocking and disturbing imagery is used to show the effects of smoking on different body organs, provoking disgust and consciousness in people. These advertisements may even cause fear in some smokers, hopefully convincing them of abandonning the habbit. Fear can also be felt by those young adolescents which may be thinking of beginning to smoke. This advertisement makes us think again if it is worth risking our health for a cigarrette or not. It is a very effective commercial, but can be considered too shocking for some people and may disturb them because of this.

2) If I were designing an anti smoking TV advertisement I would try to show the damage smoking can produce by presenting cases of people who have suffered illnesses because of smoking. I'd have the victims talk about their situation to all smokers and dissuade them from the vice by showing their regret and suffering. It would be a shocking advertisement and it would be as effective as the one above, although disgusting imagery would not be necessary.
Back to top Go down
yoxi5236

PostSubject: effective   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 3:20 am

very effective
astonishing
give us a shock
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anti-Smoking Advertising   Anti-Smoking Advertising Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anti-Smoking Advertising
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Grange Biology Forum :: SARA VILCHES :: 3rd Medio :: Anti-Smoking Advertising (SVI)-
Jump to: